I have been wondering what people are using for adhesives and as sealants for their collages. Any ideas are very welcome.

Just by way of introduction I will post a few works here, as I am new.

Views: 2362

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

On adhesive, Todd mentioned yes glue to me and I love it.

Nice work in those jpgs. I admit to the use of Glue Sticks, Scotch brand. Watered-down regular Elmer's (or similar white glue). Double-stick tape that I use on books and in framing (heavy duty). For me, it sometimes comes down to what is the next layer -- will I age the piece, paint over it, glue more objects to it, the final surface type I desire (glossy, matte, satin, etc0 -- so there is a real dance involved.

Often it comes down to: Plastic (I think of it as non-organic) or permeable (organic).

VM

Attachments:

Val, that’s a great way to look at the situation! I usually just work with the same materials, but it’s so nice to hear a little bit of  how you make your wonderful creations!

Thank you including your images for me to see why you need to do that “dance"

Hi,I use a white dense glue here in Italy called Vinavil diluited with water, because much dense. This for my chairs. But for paper collage on paper they say that it is better glue stick. Is it true?

Sorry for my wrong reply.I correct: but for paper collage on paper they say that is better glue stick. Is it true?

I’ve used glue stick for many years and  there is a problem if the temperature gets low. Even on a window sill or window seat, if they are the glue will shrink and everything will come off . This has especially happened when receiving collages from Europe (I’m in the US). They just fall apart.

If you use glue stick and THEN  SEAL them though, say with gel medium ( I use Golden brand or Liquitex brand here) It will stay down, it seems to not change in the cooler surroundings. 

Watered down white glue AKA school glue is only okay if all the materials used in the collage are NOT WATER SOLUBLE, if they are it will run down and ruin the piece. (learned the hard way!)

Here is a link to a forum where I asked this to a collection of collage artists (I founded a group of say 450 people in a group just for collages and “digital” collages (you can see one person’s definition of this versus photomanipulation on this same page of the link. http://alteredmixedcollages.deviantart.com/ There were at least 25 responses to this question.

From the answers  there I tried  YES! glue. “Yes!” is the brand name, and I googled it and ordered in on the internet. Has it’s own problems, and I will probably go back to glue sticks with sealing , or simply framed under glass to "seal”  it. ~K

I use Eileen's tacky glue mixed with Elmer's Glue-All (both liquid). Eileen's is too tacky and Elmer's is too runny but together, they make a perfect mix ... for me.  I apply it from the Elmer's bottle tip (as opposed to using a paint or foam brush).

Thanks so much! That sounds really good, I’ll have to try it.  What kind of glue is “Eileen’s” is it just like any tacky glue?   Also do you mix approximately half and half?

Corgifeet said:

I use Eileen's tacky glue mixed with Elmer's Glue-All (both liquid). Eileen's is too tacky and Elmer's is too runny but together, they make a perfect mix ... for me.  I apply it from the Elmer's bottle tip (as opposed to using a paint or foam brush).

Hi Kanchan,

Generally half and half. I spelled Aileen's wrong. A not E.

And of course, with Elmer's, don't get the school glue - get Glue-All.

Thank you so much for your kind reply. It was especially nice that you uploaded the pictures so I am sure which product to buy.
I especially like the idea of using the tip of the Elmer's glue. I hate having to use brushes. Mostly I use gluestick, but I know it's susceptible to cold, and generally is not as permanent. Thank you so much. -Kanchan

Any members use Mod Podge?

Yes, I’ve used Modge Podge, but anything water-soluble runs. I’ve had whole pieces, and large ones at that that have been ruined this way.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Forum

Posting to membership- 2 Replies

Started by Felicia Belair-Rigdon. Last reply by Jemison Roger Beshears Jul 7, 2021.

Call for Artists: A Book About Death / Tribute to Ray Johnson

Started by Janice McDonald Jul 27, 2019.

Members

© 2024   Created by Cecil Touchon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service