A new idea and/or collaboration(if interested)

i keep having the idea of a collaboration where one artist sends another artist scraps, images, pages, objects, or magazines and the receiving artist creates a collage using given materials. after reading the topic of scraps and my personal interest in scraps, i would love to do something like this with other artists who are willing to compile an envelope of scraps and send it my way and each of us create a new work using those materials. whether they modify the scraps with tools is up to the artist. i like the idea of no modification. just using the scraps as is.

Who's with me?

feel free to post address or email me address and i shall give you mine.

thanks,

matt taggart

Views: 2086

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have shared this type of collaboration before and would love to do more!

wonderful. i sent emails to you about all this.

Ken, honestly, i really like the first one. many great textures and colors. very abstract. i don't see failure in this but exploration. one piece might be better than another but its really the process i'm after. i'm just happy to see what you've done with my scraps.

i still need to post some new pictures. i have many to show. please be patient. they will be up very soon.

hope all is well.

this one is using ken's scraps. a few alterations were made but for the most part the pieces are as is. on black matte board.

this is with Adrian's scraps. no alterations.

second one using Adrian's scraps. no alterations. on cardboard. this one I feel didn't hit the mark but I feel like sharing it with you all anyways. its missing something.

For sure it is an exploration, Matt. And I know you’re interested in the scrap-trading-creating process. That’s why I posted the thing. But I think you’re being generous in your observations.

I agree there are many textures. Too many, I think, and they are arbitrary as well. It’s not just bad composition, it lacks composition altogether. As I see it, there is no underlying structure. Merely gluing down a bunch of pieces of paper does not composition make.

It is abstract. But even pictures about nothing have to be about something. There is nothing that gives it any spark or mystery or energy or anything. There is neither a focus nor relationships working to create a compelling whole.
The more I think about it, I’m not sure it’s abstract. What’s being abstracted? It’s more non-referential or maybe self-referential. But now I’m just getting bogged down in labels.

I  wonder what others think about this piece.

Matthew Taggart said:

Ken, honestly, i really like the first one. many great textures and colors. very abstract. i don't see failure in this but exploration. one piece might be better than another but its really the process i'm after. i'm just happy to see what you've done with my scraps.

i still need to post some new pictures. i have many to show. please be patient. they will be up very soon.

hope all is well.

here is one with scraps from Adrian, Ken and Myself.

first one using Gwenn Mayers' scraps.

second piece using Gwenn Mayers' scraps. this is a 15x20.

sorry about the blurriness of the photos. don't have a real camera and my scanner is junk

this is one done on a 15x20 collage board using scraps by Ken Coleman, Adrian Jagaru and Gwenn Mayers. as you noticed there is a weave in one section. outside of that no alterations to any other pieces.

Looks like you've been busy, Matt.

Some fine work there.

I see the one piece is 15x20. Are all of these recent pieces around the same size?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Forum

Posting to membership- 2 Replies

Started by Felicia Belair-Rigdon. Last reply by Jemison Roger Beshears Jul 7, 2021.

Call for Artists: A Book About Death / Tribute to Ray Johnson

Started by Janice McDonald Jul 27, 2019.

Members

© 2024   Created by Cecil Touchon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service